October 27, 2011

their worlds

(ok ok, so its actually Thursday, but its been a crazy week)

Dementia is a strangely fascinating thing.  The words that come out of people's mouths 
range from side-splittingly hilarious to achingly sad.
I try to roll with the punches as I make my rounds.
Being what people need me to be in each moment.
Some people need to talk to me, bits and pieces of their life story spilling out, some need to yell.

We have one gentleman who was a clergyman back in his day.
He still gives little sermons to anyone who will stop and listen.
"You see the thing is, well the IMPORTANT thing to remember, and always has been,
there will be - shall we say - trials of sorts, and, well, that which we do, you know the essence
of the matter really, really comes down to that which IS, well, I mean, the Bible talks about 
that very thing and of course we must always strive.  Strive for, well you understand.  
Because that is what it means to be a christian."
And he's right.  So I agree with him and thank him for his words.
He chuckles and pats my hand.  

Most of them welcome a hug.
(Who doesn't?)

One sweet lady came up to me in her little cardigan and skirt,
soft white bangs and a smart little bob cut, 
piercing blue eyes that no longer reflect the wisdom of the 90+ years she has lived,
but rather a blank innocence.
She leaned into me and in the most sincere tone asked me,
"Do you know who I am?"
I think my heart cracked a tiny bit.
I put my arm around her and whispered her name in her ear.

Its a strangely beautiful world.
Have a great day my friends. 
xo  


2 comments:

Jolene said...

We have recently witnessed my MIL slip into full blown dementia from slight dementia in a matter of weeks. Some days she is in England, others she has gone fishing and today she was at a football game. I am very intrigued by this strange world of dementia... and I think it actually is beneficial in her case - in the sense that 'her' reality is better than the actual reality. However, I have noticed that I don't recognize her anymore, and it is all in the eyes... I've tried to describe it as a childish look in her eyes, but your description nails it! "A blank innocence". Perfect!

Candice said...

Thanks Jo! Seeing families dealing with dementia in their loved ones breaks my heart. I am keenly aware that the beauty and humour that I see comes mainly from the fact that I did not know these people in their past lives. I only know them in the present as they are today. It is indeed a strange world and I am constantly reminded of God's presence (and I am not an overly religious person in any way) while I am at work. I feel truly blessed to be there, in that moment with these souls.