M tonight trying to leave to go home.
Again
"Listen. I'm going home. Tonight. I've had enough of your jazz."
"But M, this is your home."
"This is my home!?"
"Yes. You live here."
"Since when?"
"You've lived here for 4 years."
"No. That's not true. I don't believe that. I have a home.
I mean, I may be here, but technically I'm not here.
Are you following me?
I'd never choose to live here.
I have a family.
I have a mother who's waiting for me at home.
Our family, we stick together, we don't just go off and live by ourselves with a bunch of strangers.
Do you think I'm a kook?"
"Of course not."
"I should say not. Now look - I've been arguing with you people for so long that its getting dark outside.
That's not safe.
How am I supposed to walk up the hill now?"
"Why don't you spend the night here since its getting dark?"
"Well that's fine. I will. But tomorrow I'm leaving missy.
And I don't want any funny business.
Understood?"
4 comments:
Awww... it's just so sad, as that is their reality with little spurts of current day reality muddled throughout, that just makes it even more confusing for them. Dan's Mom had this incredible desire to 'go home', back to her parents before she passed. She was always 'visiting' them, and then she started to prepare to move back home so they could look after her. (She was 83.. and her parents long past)
This is a very scary thought to me...I hope I never see the day that my parents or loved ones don't know me
I think I'm going to tell my students that I've had enough of their jazz. That's brilliant.
CB :)
Its interesting you say that Jo because I actually read about a study that was done of people on their deathbeds and the number one person that people called out for at the end was their mother. So sad and beautiful.
I hear you Jenni. I can not even imagine my little nan, or even worse - my mom, not recognizing me anymore. I think that would be more painful that I can imagine.
Carolyn! I love that you find humour in the lingo that they use as well! "enough of your jazz" made my night, as did the comment about being a "kook".
Post a Comment