April 24, 2012

opinionated (in my opinion)

This was my conversation with Mrs. C at the Lodge today,
a very opinionated, (in my opinion) woman.
Mrs. C "May I ask what you do when you aren't here?  You don't seem to work that often 
and it has me wondering."
I explain that I teach dance when I'm not at the Lodge and that I in fact work 6 days a week.
This is apparently a highly satisfactory response.
She continues.
"Do you have children of your own yet?"
"No I don't."
"Hmmm...are you married?"
"No, not yet."
"How old are you?"
"35"
"Well, you might want to get on that."
"That's what my mom says" (I chuckle)
"Well no doubt.  She's waiting for grandchildren."
She stares at me over her glasses and purses lips caked with coral pink lipstick,
waiting for my next response.
And so just to see her reaction I tell her I'm adopting.
She takes it in...
"Unfortunately, that's hardly the same thing as a real grandchild."
"Well, my mom is still pretty excited."
"I guess she'd have to be at this point.
Tell me, I was under the understanding
that they only gave babies to married people,
which you've just said you're not.
How's that working?"
"Oh, they give babies to single people now too."
"Do they really?"
She is amazed and horrified
as if I've stated that they also let wolverines adopt babies nowadays.
"The world is changing Mrs. C."
"Clearly it is.  And tell me, you think you're going to be able to provide for this child?"
"I do."
"Well.  You certainly have your own way of doing things."
This is not said as any sort of compliment whatsoever.
"Thank you Mrs. C"
I smile.
She gives me a fake, opinionated (in my opinion) smile.

(Now, had this conversation happened with someone outside the Lodge
I would have had a serious case of hurt feelings.
But under the circumstances I found it more amusing that anything else.)

3 comments:

Denise said...

That is really too funny! I'm glad you could see the humour in it and not take it to heart :) I'm so glad that your mom is excited - even with her fake grandchild coming, lol. That one is up there with some of the worst lines I have heard yet!

Jolene said...

Yes... very comical, and probably the only situation where you wouldn't have jumped down someone's throat (or felt like it. Ha... ;)

Candice said...

Oh my my my. I knew you two would love this one. Seriously, if it had been anyone else I don't know what I would have said, but because it happened at the Lodge all I could think was, "too funny. I must blog about this" ;)