Today was our best day yet
and I need to give a huge shout out to Stacey for it.
Stacey brought her son home from Russia a few years ago
and right before I left she emailed me with a bunch of great advice
and one of the things she suggested I pack was some balloons.
They were a major hit
and brought LB completely out of her shell.
We had a couple blown up and started swatting them back and forth
which gave her the giggles and she just worked herself up into hysteria over it.
It was indescribable to watch her come to life
right in front of us.
She played with all three of us and at one point looked right at mom
and said, "Baba" before hitting it to her.
Be still my heart.
She wore herself out chasing the balloon back and forth
and then Lacey built a tower out of the stacking cups
which she promptly came over and knocked down
laughing hysterically again.
I took a chance and scooped her onto my lap
and she just laid there and giggled
so I started kissing her on the cheeks and forehead
and she looked right into my eyes and just laughed and laughed.
Best. Moment. Ever.
We got to take a peak at where she lives
and got to meet her little groupa
who all chimed out a big "Zdrasvooy!" when we walked in the door.
They have a little common room with tiny tables and chairs
a small bedroom with 14 toddler beds standing end to end
around the edges, and down the centre of the room
all with matching yellow and orange bedspreads
and lastly, a little cloak room with individual cupboards all labeled with the children's names.
I am so grateful we were given the opportunity to peek in
(no pictures allowed though)
Before I left for this trip, on my last day of teaching
one of my younger dancers realized that I was going to be in Russia for Halloween
and very excitedly asked me, "Will you get to go trick or treating with all the orphans?"
Oh my. I didn't see that one coming and it kind of hit me in the stomach
thinking about the different realities we all live
and the stark differences between life in an orphanage in Russia
compared to life in a loving family in Vancouver.
My short answer to her however was, "they don't celebrate Halloween in Russia"
(seemed like the simplest response at the time)
to which she piped up, "well you should tell them about it Miss Candice
because its so fun!"
I told her I would.
Fast forward to today and packing my bag to see LB
I have a little snack trap that I've been bringing some little gerber fruit puffs in
but in light of today being Halloween I put a few smarties in there.
Well!
When LB discovered the smarties everything else temporarily ceased to exist.
She tucked her red balloon behind her back
(she is very territorial about toys and food which is normal for institutionalized kids)
and dug into that little cup like there was no tomorrow.
It was adorable and a little sad to see her so intent on them
head down
arms protecting her little stash of 7 smarties
stuffing them into her mouth and chewing as fast as she could.
In her little world nothing is purely hers
everything is up for grabs
and she has learned these little survival skills in order to keep what's hers
from being snatched by someone else.
That's her current reality.
I wasn't surprised at all when I got too close to her and she swatted at my arm.
Her little reflex kicking in
This is mine
She told me.
And in my heart I whispered back
You are mine LB and every Halloween from now on
you will eat your little heart out on candy my girl so go ahead and dig in.
xo
We get to soak her up tomorrow for one last visit.

3 comments:
my heart melts every time you post!!! it feels like i am right there!!! you must be absorbing every last second deep in to your soul, every minute with her is a blessing :) can't wait to hear all the stories when you are back and we can start the "sleep" countdown to when you will bring her to your forever home xoxo rach
So awesome :-) I remember it being trial and error from my stashed bag of tricks to see what would bring their shy little spirit out. A stuffed orange lion was the ticket to getting him to smile and sneak a peek at me for the first time and the flood gates opened from there. Tomorrow is going to be amazing as she opens up even more. I am so incredibly excited for you and your girl. I noticed she's a lefty like me - they say lefties are creative - maybe she'll be a dancer like her mom? I wish you could capture how you feel in a bottle right now. It's about as high as you might ever feel. Isn't it amazing?!? Enjoy your girl and do try and find some Pelemini :-)
I can't wait u til you are greeted by friends and family with bouquets of gallons to celebrate the beginning of your life as family! Yahooooooo!
Ditto what Stacey said! Its is the best time ever :-) When you are home she will the run of the all the toys in her home. Moi Moi Moi is what Vera used to say (I might have spelled that wrong. But it is mine in russian) :-)
Post a Comment