February 06, 2013

just because

I haven't written about the lodge in what seems like forever
so I felt like tonight was the night to dip into that place in my heart that it occupies.
I have been feeling more than a little burnt out for the past few months 
and truthfully
have struggled to find the joy I used to have there.
Not with the residents
(they still make me split my side laughing and in the next moment, make my heart crack and bleed)
but with other stuff
work stuff
political stuff
less than stellar management stuff
The stuff everyone in the workforce grumbles about I suspect...
I have had some beautifully sad, surreal moments there in the past couple of months
I even made friends with an extraordinary woman while we sat vigil by her father's bedside.
(she's an adoptive mama, go figure)

There has been lots of light and funny
like the new guy who carries around a remote control in a shoe and tries to make phone calls from it.
(Oh no, I am not making this up people)
"Excuse me miss.  I don't seem to be getting a dial tone here."
Really?  That's weird.  Where is Agent 99 calling from I wonder?
hehehe
(inside voice there.  Outside voice blamed it on the phone company and told him to try again later)

And lots of post holiday sad
little grey haired ladies who are perpetually looking for their mothers
sitting beside the window holding teddy bears
waiting for the daughter who is supposedly taking them to the opera
or trying to get back home for dinner
trying to find little brothers and sisters now long gone.

There has been death.
Its odd how many of them hang on until the New Year and then its like a wave washing through
as one after another drifts away.
Just last week as I was sitting with this lady in her room
she grabbed my hand and whispered to me, "I'm dying aren't I?"
and there was no way around answering that with anything other than the truth
so I looked her straight in the eye
my heart skipped a beat
I felt my soul anchor me to her bed
and with unwavering eye contact I said, 
"Yes you are, and I will be right here holding your hand if you want me to be."
And oh my word can I just tell you how hard it was to say that?
To not brush her off with a casual "you'll be fine"
but to look straight down the barrel of that gun, lock eyes with her and say the thing she needed to hear,
 the thing she knew to be true?
So hard.
So necessary.
 I think that speaking the truth is important 
because if it was me, 
or should I say when it is me,
I want whoever is there to be straight with me
and then to tell me its not going to be so scary
that it will be just like going home again.
I think we'd all want to hear that, don't you?
I don't know.
I think I may change career paths and become a death counsellor.
Oh yes I am serious.
I think there is a need for it.
And oddly enough, I think I'd be darn good at it.
How's that for crazy talk at midnight?
I need to go have a good soak in the tub.

Goodnight.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would seem you have the empathy/knack for it. I believe most fear dying alone; knowing someone could be there at the 'end' would bring many nearing it much comfort. <3
TW