February 18, 2013

just like that

I have had a count down going for a couple of months now
a count down of how many shifts I had left at the lodge.
It was immensely satisfying every Monday Tuesday and Wednesday to come home from work
and erase one of those little lines on my chalk board.
Today I woke up with only 3 left.
Then just like that I had none.
I walked into the building this morning to learn that there is an outbreak of Norwalk going on.
I didn't even put my tea on the desk
I just stood with my coat on waiting for permission to leave.
It wasn't a risk I was willing to take in light of the fact that we are leaving in 9 days.
They begrudgingly agreed to cancel my shifts.
And as soon as I'd squirted some hand sanitizer on, I was out of there.
Funny, 
for how often I've fantasized about my final days there
that scenario never entered my mind.
It felt quite anticlimactic
comedic really.
No goodbye hugs or touching words
just me bolting to my car and breathing a sigh of relief
with my mom's words ringing in my ears
(because I called her to ask what I should do)
"Norwalk!?! You get the heck out of there."

So now I have some unexpected days to myself.
Today I packed for Zenya
organized my freshly painted craft room
ate brownies
napped
and went for an extra long walk with the dogs.
It was nice
and strange
to have time to myself
and know that there will be more tomorrow and the day after that. 
Not sure what I'm going to do with myself.... 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are the days you enjoy....you've worked and planned and worried enough to get you to this point. It's now time to enjoy the last few days before you leave and think ahead to a month from now :) Exciting days ahead! xoxoxoxoxo PS - where are my brownies? ;)