14 years ago today my little Thisbe came into being.
She was 4th in a litter of 6
the product of 2 shelter dogs that got together for a little one-night stand.
I drove out to see a male in the litter
but within seconds I knew he wasn't the dog for me.
The lady said, "we do have one female left if you'd like to see her"
and then carried over this little white ball of fluff and sat her on the floor in front of me.
She starred at me
unblinking
so I starred back.
Eventually I picked her up
and she sat in the palm of my hand like she owned it.
I looked into those deep chocolate eyes,
brought her close to my face and she stretched her little head forward
until her tiny pink tongue reached out to touch my nose.
That was when I knew she was the girl for me.
She has taught me much, this dog.
Mostly about patience
and the importance of accepting things we can not change.
I have learned to bend more because of her,
I have learned to love a little deeper
a little more unconditionally.
I have learned to go with the flow
and to not always put my needs first.
I've learned that piddle on the floor isn't the big deal I used to think it was
and that when I am blue
the feel of her little body in my arms can do much to shift my mood.
I've learned that a walk outside each and every day does wonders for my health
and my frame of mind.
Happy Birthday Thisbe
xo

1 comment:
Happy belated, ladies. ;)
TW
Post a Comment