June 01, 2013

in the space between here and there


Zenya was mellow all day today
Pensive
Distant
She was here in the hotel with me
but she kinda wasn't.
She watched a lot of russian cartoons, didn't want to play
and didn't want to be touched as much.
Her nap lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes
and once she awoke she just lay there unresponsive.



She came around a little before bedtime
the smiles and giggles returned
those little arms reached out and pointed to her stroller
so off we went
bundled up against the cold.


We are taking such huge strides forward together
that its hard to watch her isolate herself from me
to push me away.
I can see that she is taking the space she needs to grieve in her own way
her own time
and I know that that's a very good thing.

When we climbed into bed
she put her head on our pillow facing me
her little thumb in her mouth and her fingers stroking my cheek
just the way I stroke hers
and I whispered
"I love you so much
and you are such a brave girl to have come away with mama.
I know you're feeling sad and that's ok
you can be sad as long as you need to.
Mama will always be here." 
And as I was talking, she was nodding and answering me back
whispering away in russian to me
nodding 
gesturing
little arm circling
pointing
telling me we should go stand at the window and look for dogs.
Oh my word, can I just say how much I love her?

4 comments:

Stacey said...

"Can I say how much I love her?" You can try and we can smile and nod knowingly but what that feels like, we will never experience. Enjoy. I'm sure it feels amazing :-)

Unknown said...

pretty sure that grafitti says "rhubarb". just saying. ~xoxo rach~

Candice said...

Totally says rhubarb, but minus the 'h'. rubarb.

singletracey said...

Love love love!!