We had our first encounter with another little girl yesterday when we were out for lunch.
Zenya interacts with adults very well
the orphanage taught her some serious manners
and she makes eye contact with everyone she meets
and offers out her little hand to shake
but I had yet to see her strike up a conversation with another child.
We were sitting at our usual table at the italian restaurant down the street from our hotel
when this family came in with a little girl in tow
about the same age as Zenya.
She had blonde hair and blue eyes
just like my girl
and it wasn't long before she came over to say hi.
Although I didn't understand everything that was being said
the gist of it went something like this:
Zenya (perched on my lap eating her soup)
"Hi. This is my mama.
See that? That's my new coat. Touch it. Go on, touch it.
Its mine.
MINE.
These are my shoes.
This is my skirt.
That's my bunny
MINE."
As the little girl reached out to touch it, Zenya pulled it closer to us and started to frown
She began to slide everything closer to us
her plate, knife and fork, previously untouched
her glass of water
She stopped talking and just stared.
The little girl sat down on Zenya's chair for a bit
taking it all in
and then Zenya dismissed her with a flick of her hand
"Paka paka."
So the little girl got up and left.
Ok
She's not as warm with other children as I'd hoped
but she didn't bite the kid's face off either
so I can live with this.
We can work with this, right?
Looking at it from her perspective
if I was in her shoes
her new red shoes with the bows on them
I'd probably be shouting
"get away from my new stuff" too.
1 comment:
Hahahah. This reminds me of vera. She kept her goods...anything she thought was hers... Right in her space. She also didn't play with other kids for a while. Her two cousins first and eventually she became friendly with others...
Post a Comment