June 19, 2013

sleep

I put her down at 8.
She thrashes and flails, convinced she's not tired yet
kicking at the blankets and scaring Thisbe right off the bed.
She cries and clings to me
then pushes me away.
The minutes tick by and I think about the dishes waiting in the sink
strawberries that need to be hulled and frozen
food still waiting to be put away.
Mess
there is a mess everywhere
and I just don't do well with that kind of chaos.
My fingers itch to get up and start tidying it all up before my own fatigue kicks in.
She rolls away from me
and then comes crawling back
climbing up on my chest
her still wet curls covering my face like a veil.
I hear the sound of her sucking her thumb
her other little hand reaching out to find mine
as she melts into my body
and her breath begins to slow.
I count them in my head
thinking of all the nights she fell asleep without a mama holding her close
whispering into her hair
stroking her cheek
reminding her how very loved she is.
She falls asleep at last 
and I am filled with relief
and a strange sense of missing her all wrapped into one.



No comments: