September 20, 2013

friends


I am so grateful for this beautiful friend
who I have known for years
that has resurfaced at the most perfect time and reached out to us.
She gets us
She gets where Zenya is at
and today she brought her daughter over for a play date.
Zenya was wary of someone else touching her things
and I had to intervene more than once and reassure her that it was alright
that this is what friends do.
They share.
That's a tough thing to do when you've never had anything that was completely your own.
So there wasn't really a lot of playing together, per se, 
until I turned on some music.
Then Zenya grabbed Aurielle's hands and the two of them started dancing and laughing 
like they had known each other for years.
It was so beautiful to see.

I long for her to make some friends her own age here
because she has a friend
back in the orphanage
that she talks about often.
That she misses fiercely.
That at times I think she is waiting for...
People tell me that it will go away in time,
that she will forget
but so far she hasn't.
Zenya remembers her often
and although the requests for me to go and get her and bring her back to Canada have stopped
I know that Zenya carries the memory of her in her heart
and frequently wishes that little "M" was here experiencing life with her.  
I wish there was a way to bring her home too
but I know that at this point in time, there just isn't.

And so we move forward
and concentrate on healing old wounds
filling up the voids 
and making new friends.

No comments: