April 03, 2014

crepe night

A whole other lifetime ago I lived in Toronto
which I know you all know.
That chapter of my life is such a hazy dream to me now
memories of walking down busy streets
my backpack loaded with groceries
Thisbe trotting at my side
sipping a frap to keep the hot muggy sunshine from burning a hole right through my shirt.
There are days when I don't even recognize that girl
she is so different from me today
her priorities
her heart
what she did with her free time
(The fact that she had free time.)
When she moved back here
I packed up her audition binders
rehearsal skirts and such
put them in a box in the garage where they'd be out of the way
then in amongst her belongings I found a crepe pan, that she very kindly gave to me.

See, she was  big fan of crepes back in the day
and for her birthday one year
a very very good friend who has the world's biggest heart,
splurged and bought her a pan of her very own.
That crepe pan made it all the way back to Vancouver
and became a legend to the residents of the house.
Many a late night crepe party happened down in the basement
gorging on Nutella, pb& chocolate, and strawberry confections hot off the pan
while silly work stories from the day got passed around.

Fast forward a few years 
and enter my daughter 
my sweet little soon to be 5 year old girl.
(Where the heck is the time going!?!)
We had a random day
a day where I could not wake her from her afternoon nap
and in a streak of very unlike me behaviour I just rolled with it
letting her nap until almost 7pm.
What!?
Its true.
My schedule just went out the window for the night 
and I opted to turn the evening into a party 
for no real reason,
a party just because.
We whooped it up
silliness abounding
and then the thought smacked me in the face
"this girl of mine has never had a crepe!"
(and people think you don't get to experience any 'firsts' when you adopt a preschooler. HA!)

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves

Thanks for making this crepe night happen Twaine.
I love you to bits!!




2 comments:

JHal said...

There has never been and never will be a man with a heart of the same gold that Twaine's is made of!

Anonymous said...

Cheers, ladies. 😊
I couldn't be more honoured to have been able to facilitate such a charming 'first' for you two. ❤️
Lots of love,
tw