One year ago today Zenya and I walked hand in hand out of those orphanage gates.
Me brimming over with love and gratitude
Her silent and trusting.
I know her well enough now to see how scared she was during those first few days together.
How hard she clung to me in her waking moments
and harder still in her sleep.
Today I would say she has forgotten most of Russia
or maybe it is more accurate to say that she is choosing to forget Russia
for now
for now
putting those memories away
pushing them to the back of the closet
letting them fall to the floor
and replacing them with newer and shinier memories
of happier times
of people that love her
that laugh at her knock knock jokes
and will get down on all fours to play 'dogs' with her
and read her Fox in Sock over and over over again.
We were talking the other day about how our Family Day was coming up
and she asked me what I thought the first time I saw her
and in typical sentimental Candice style,
I answered her
and in typical sentimental Candice style,
I answered her
You came in the door and I couldn't stop thinking how beautiful you were.
All I wanted to do was take you in my arms and hold you there forever.
And then I asked her what she was thinking the first time she saw me.
She thought about it very seriously and then answered
Zenya no liked being snuggled.
Oh how things change!
Here are some of my favourite pictures from our first year together as mama and daughter.
1 comment:
Amazing. That is all. Amazing. The fight. The love. The journey. The sense of completion. I know your story in color and in detail but when I watch the videos it makes me teary just remembering your passion and your conviction that she is yours. Now, it couldn't be more evident. Always home. Always loved. Congratulations little Z and big Mama. Much respect and admiration. You did it. And now they live happily ever after. This is where my son says "BOOH YEAH". Xoxo
Post a Comment