I have a confession to make.
I don't often brag about myself, but I happen to make the best applesauce on the planet.
Its legendary in our family.
I went to the produce stand yesterday and bought 80 macintosh apples and I'll probably go back next weekend and get another 80 because this applesauce is THAT GOOD.
If I'm totally honest, I really shouldn't take all of the credit for it.
(I kind of got the recipe from Martha Stewart. )
So thanks Martha.
I ended up with 18 jars plus this little dish which I am enjoying as I type.
This afternoon I went over to mom's to pick up what we jokingly call the "applesaucer".
I have memories of my mom using this every fall when she made applesauce, and before her my nan used it. Today when I picked it up mom said, "why don't you keep it."
And just like that, the torch was passed down to me.
It was a strangely sentimental moment to me, inheriting the applesaucer.
I am the third generation of women to have this in my kitchen.
And tonight as I put it to use, warm applesauce slooshing out the sides into the bowl, the kitchen full of the smell of cinnamon and vanilla beans,
I wondered if this time next year my daughter might be beside me.
The next generation of our family.
And that little whisper of a thought brought tears to my eyes a giant lump to my throat.
1 comment:
Oh Candice! Thank you for being you!
Post a Comment