May 21, 2012

big girl panties

I spent the weekend (and the 3 days prior to the weekend)
fencing in the front yard with the help of my dad.
Well, let me be more specific
Dad fenced the front yard in and I helped.
I'll post some pictures when the rain stops and there is daylight
(2 things that are currently impeding my picture taking abilities at the moment)
I am absolutely thrilled with the results 
and can't wait to get out there and tidy up the garden in the front.
The whole process went very smoothly
until the last day...

You have to picture this now:
me, watering flowers
dad, at the table saw cutting the post caps
the dogs, lounging in the sun.
I looked over (ironically) to where he was cutting
and at that moment the saw blade hit a knot in the wood.
I will spare you the gorey details,
 fortunately it was the wood that jumped up and hit his hand
as opposed to the saw blade
but can I just say that I had no idea that blood could travel so far
and make such a giant mess in such a short amount of time.
And can I also tell you that my dad never cries.
Never.
Its incredible.
He paced and swore a blue streak, dripping blood on everything as he went,
 but that was it.  

Now you're thinking, Candice how lucky that you live with a nurse.
(In fact I live with 2)
They however, were nowhere to be found.
One was in Hawaii, and the other was out shopping for aisle runners for her wedding.
Drat.
There was only trusty little me to deal with the aftermath
and I am so not good with blood, or people in excruciating pain, for that matter.
I wanted to faint, to vomit, or to run and hide under my bed.
Unfortunately neither of those 3 things were options.
In the words of my friend Kym, I had to put on my big girl panties
and deal with the situation.
First things first, I turned the saw off.
I got a bowl of water, a towel, and gauze.
I kept my lunch down.
We wrapped his finger
(indescribably gruesome)
and I strongly encouraged a trip to the hospital.
He shrugged me off at first because he wanted to get the rest of the pieces cut.
Uh huh.
He wanted to turn that saw back on and go right back to chopping wood.
That is my dad people.
He's a handyman grizzly bear.
He eventually relented on the hospital trip and I went to pick up his girlfriend to drive him.
When we got back he had finished cutting the last of the caps and put away most of his tools.
Unreal.
He took the next day off as he needs to let the hole where his finger nail used to be 
heal up a little.
I said, no problem.  Take all the time you need.
And thanks for building us such a stellar fence.
Dad.

2 comments:

Denise said...

wow! you'll have some memories attached to that fence now :)

Candice said...

You said it!