May 23, 2012

R

I was at the Lodge again today.
How I love that place, and the people that call it home.
So many funny, touching, and heartbreaking moments happen there.
This afternoon I sat with R, who lives on the second floor
and listened to her talk.
Her dementia made it impossible to follow her train of thought.
She jumped from topic to topic,
fragments of memories
that she holds onto.
Her sister being in trouble,
unpaid bills to a company,
going to church
needing to catch a bus.
I try to link her words together
and put the puzzle of her life back together.
Its futile and I am only left with questions that she can't answer.
As I get up to leave I take her hand in mine to say goodbye
and she looks at me, really looks at me
and says, "thank you for loving me.  I think you're the only person who does."
And I am rocked to the very core of my being.
I lay my cheek on her forehead 
and we just stay like that for a moment
because I simply don't know what to say to her.

This place is a constant reminder to me of what's really important in this life.
Our possessions, our station in life, 
the accolades and rewards we get for the things we do
mean nothing when compared to the love we share with each other.
In the end love is all we have
all we can give each other,
and it is the greatest gift of all.


3 comments:

Jolene said...

Awww... You are such a gift to the residents at your work. I'm glad they have you around to shower them with love!

Denise said...

What a lasting gift you give (and receive) there! So very amazing what a listening ear will do.

Candice said...

Thanks gals. It is amazing what a kind ear and a little bit of love can do. I often think though, that I get more out of being with them, than they do from being with me. I feel very blessed to be allowed into their worlds.