May 15, 2012

walk a block

Just because I know you've missed them
here are some snippets of conversation with some of my favourite seniors
while we walked around the block in the sunshine today.

G is crawling along at a snail's pace.  
Seriously. 
I lost my balance a couple of times from holding my foot up in the air waiting to take the next step
alongside her.
G: "Oh I'm so tired."
"Did you not sleep well?"
"No, that's not it.  That's not it at all.  The cable man came this morning at 9 to fix my phone.
I found the experience draining and I am weakened.
Absolutely weakened.
I must stop and rest."
(we were not even out of the driveway as she parked her walker, put the brakes on
and took a seat, breathing deeply.)

Me: "Wow.  That's a very fancy shirt Mrs. R"
(said shirt is adorned with these very large obnoxious butterflies in too bright colours
with rhinestones and beadwork.  
Its gruesome.)
Mrs. R: "Isn't it wonderful?  I get compliments on it all the time.  
It's part of my cruise-wear collection.  I have an entire section of my closet that's just cruise-wear."
"What's cruise-wear?"
(I feel so out of the loop)
"Oh!  Things like this.  Comfortable, cotton things that are bright and splashy.  
You can't be too splashy on a cruise
and I've been on several."

D: "This is wrong.  All wrong.  We shouldn't be going along this way."
"What way?  Do you want me to take you over to the other side of the street?"
"No, not that.  I mean this.  Me sitting here and you struggling along."
"Would you like to change places?  I'll sit in the wheelchair and you can push me?
I'd love a ride."
And he starts to laugh
for the first time today.
Its a rusty, wheezy kind of laugh
that starts out almost like a cough
and then gradually warms up into a full throated chortle
as he grins from ear to ear.
He settles back and crosses one leg over the other
"Good one.  No, I think its fine, just like this."
"Me too Dave."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bittersweet. I love Dave's comment and that you could make him laugh. Reminds me of taking Grandpa out to see the blossoms in April. We wheeled through the park behind the hospital, one of the last times he was outside. Oh, how I still miss him. I'm glad you are able to bring joy to these elderly people. They are lucky to have you caring for them! mm xo

Jolene said...

Love your sgpl days! What does that stand for by the way? Or are you allowed to say? ;)