A couple of weeks back a well-meaning mom at the studio stopped me in the hallway between classes
to ask how the adoption was going.
(before I go on, I need to tell you that this woman is of russian descent)
I gave her my sunny, cheer-filled response, offering little concrete detail and thanked her for her inquiry.
She then leaned into me and said,
"I caution you strongly on what you are doing.
Those children are there for a reason.
They have problems.
Drug problems.
Mental problems.
You name it.
I will help you in any way I can,
but think twice about what you are doing."
Really, what do I say to that?
"Thank you. I have."
That was the best I could do.
Tonight.
Two of my girls are hanging around waiting for their ride
and little Miss A says,
"I'm so excited for you!"
Me, "You are? Why's that?"
(side note: I am friends with both of their mom's so they are "in the loop")
(side note: I am friends with both of their mom's so they are "in the loop")
"You know! Your little girl. I get excited every time I think of her. Aren't you excited?"
I tell her yes, how excited I am, but that somedays its hard to think of her sitting in an orphanage
when I want so badly to be with her
all the while maintaining a confident smile.
She hugs me.
Both of them do.
And then out of nowhere Riley says to me,
"You know, those kids are there for a reason.
Its so that people like you will come and get them."
And I was done.
Those words, coming out of the mouth of this girl
in all her beautiful 12 years of wisdom
smacked me full in the chest
sucked the breath right out of my lungs
and squeezed my heart until the tears welled up in my eyes
and there was nothing I could do to stop them from showing.
I have known Riley her whole life,
and she has made me smile more times than I count,
but she has never brought tears to my eyes
until tonight.
Bless her wisdom and her pure believing heart.
"In the faces of men and women I see God
and in my own face in the glass,
I find letters from God dropped in the street,
and every one is signed by God's name.
And I leave them where they are,
for I know that wherever I go,
others will punctually come for ever and ever"
Walt Whitman
5 comments:
Oh, so beautiful! Yes, she is there for a reason... for you to find her - great response! And even if/when she has problems, she is still no less deserving of a loving home. You are doing a good thing, and while it might not always be easy - it is the right thing to do.
I had a similar response once to our transracial adoption. "Those" children adopted into white families usually end up very messed up. I don't care what the enemy says. White, black, traumatized, "normal" - all children deserve a loving home. I once read that the more helpless a child is, the more the enemy wants to destroy them. The war is on! :)
I would like to ask "these" people what they would have done if their biological child had been born with problems. Did their child come with a return policy? "Oops, don't want this one. Let's try for another." I love Denise's comment. Our little one might not be perfect, but I think she is perfect for you (and us!) and love can heal many wounds. mm
Thanks Denise and mom. :)
xo
... and now I am a sobbing mess. Yes, she doesn't know it... but having you as her Mama was written on her page of destiny a long time ago.
My daughter's name is Ryley too. ;)
Your daughter sounds like a real gem as well from some of the stories you've shared about her on your blog.
Post a Comment