October 07, 2012

Giving Thanks

We Canadians are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend
and last night my family got together for a turkey dinner at mom's.
We have a little tradition in our family that before we eat 
we go around the table and everyone talks about what they're most thankful for.
My mom and stepdad
Lace and nan
my soul sister and best friend of 25 years Rishell
her beautiful daughter Riley
and 2 new members to our table this year, my Russian tutor Anton and his wife Yulia
who were experiencing their first Thanksgiving.
Everyone had such heartfelt things to say
I don't think there was a dry eye at at the table by the time it was done.
We have so much to be thankful for,
most importantly
each other.

When I got home
I got to work on a little book that I'm making to take to LB when we go.
I can't take any credit for this idea,
I saw it on fellow adoptive mom Jill's blog 
and although I'd seen a few of them before
I thought she did an amazing job by doing the english and russian titles.
The first page is a picture of LB and it says,
"I am joining a family!"and this is beside it:


I've never called myself that before.
Mom.
So thankful to have been chosen for this little one
and thankful for the support of the people that sat around our table last night.
They hold me up
and their belief in me and my journey
keeps me going.

Happy Thanksgiving my friends

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been out of the loop for a little bit - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am so happy for you and your daughter and I can't wait to meet her. You'll be amazing!
CB

Unknown said...

seeing that picture and hearing about the book you are making brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps! it takes a little while to get used to calling yourself "mom", or referring to another little person as "my daughter", but once it sets' in, your outlook and life will never be even remotely the same. i thought of you last night when i was pondering all the things that i'm thankful for. you are near the top of my list, sister. xoxo rach

Unknown said...

(i just want to plaster this virtual wall with happy, happy, happy thoughts!!!) i am BESIDE myself!!! xoxo rach

Candice said...

THANK YOU Rachel!!! I am so grateful to have you in my life!!
xoxo