October 12, 2012

on birthdays and blue pens

I got up this morning after way too little sleep
having spent the night before re-doing our visa applications for the umpteenth time.
I was sitting on the couch in my pj's composing a post in honour of my mom's birthday today
when the phone rang.
The agency.
Our telex numbers were in.
(These are the numbers I've been waiting on as they are our official invite to apply for our visas)
I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow but instantaneously my day turned on its ear.
The new applications I'd done the night before needed mom and Lacey's signatures
 before I could take them to the embassy.
No breakfast
Unmade bed
I leave the house in track pants and no make-up
looking like The Wreck of the Hesperus
to fly to mom's before she leaves for work.
I get to her house and in the 18 minutes I am there, discover another discrepancy
which forces me to change and reprint all three applications again.
I fight back tears and a bunch of swear words
and I get them done.
I have to track down Lacey at the hospital where she works.
She signs off on hers in the parking lot and I head to the passport office.
Downtown
Terrible traffic
Construction
No parking
Frustration mounts
I get inside where a very nice lady looks over everything, gets to mom's application and says,
 "Oh.  This one will have to be redone."
"I'm sorry, what?"
"She signed in blue pen and it has to be black."
"You're serious?"
She was.
No joke.
Black ink only.
Unbelievably stressful day.
I am functioning on half the sleep I usually get not to mention that
I think I've lost about 3 lbs in the last 2 weeks and gained about 20 grey hairs.
I guess you take the good with the bad.

So now backing up to the beginning of my day again
This is what I had started to write...

Today is my mom's birthday.
I think she's turning 45 this year.
And if she's not actually 45, she could easily pass for it.
My mom is the embodiment of love
she is the heartbeat of our family
she picks us up when we are down
and is there to sooth us whenever we need her. 
She laughs at the most ridiculous jokes
cries at the corniest movies
and she cheers the loudest from the sidelines,
all the while wearing her heart on her sleeve.
She is beautiful inside and out
and she is who I strive to be.

Happy Birthday Mom.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

OH does that suck or WHAT!? Now you've got me wondering what colour ink I signed mine in! I am just hoping beyond hope ours makes it in time... we still haven't rec'd them back yet!
I hope you have a better day tomorrow!!

Happy Birthday to your Mom, your beauty does not fall from the tree. :)

Candice said...

OH HO you know it did!! Unbelievably stressful as the whole process is so time sensitive. We have an appointment booked with the ministry for Monday 29th, hotel booked, and flights on hold that we can't book until we get the visa numbers and we are coming down to the wire in terms of getting them back on time. Have yours arrived yet? I realize I have no right to complain about stress to you - you must be going out of your mind with only 8 days to go!! I can not wait to read your posts from Kenya.
:)
Thank you for the lovely compliment. My mom sure is a beauty and its an honour to have inherited a bit of her good genes. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just a great big thank you, Lovey, for those oh-so-kind words. I am without a doubt the luckiest mom in the world. And positive thoughts and prayers to you, Jo, that all goes well for you. mm