religion tonight
because its been on my mind a lot recently.
With my little bean arriving sometime in the near future
I've been thinking a lot about my spirituality
my beliefs
and more specifically what I want her to learn.
I know, big stuff.
I was raised as part of the united church and have some good memories of going to Sunday School
when I was small.
Religion itself has always intrigued me
and in high school I took a world religions class
that to this day was my most memorable learning experience at that school.
We studied all of the major world religions
Catholicism
Judaism
Hinduism
Buddhism
Hare Krishna
Islam
and we got to visit their place of worship and talk with the leader of that faith.
It was an incredible experience
and one I wish everyone had the opportunity to have.
The biggest thing I took away from it
is the commonality all religions share.
(I also decided that if I could worship in any of those holy buildings I would pick the Hare Krishna temple, because the domed ceiling was painting to look like the sky and it took my breath away.)
In my twenties I went through a phase of exploring the Baha'i faith
a truly beautiful religion in its message of peace and love for all mankind
and many of the teachings of the faith's founder Bahaulla make up my core beliefs today.
(Side note: I am so grateful to have parents that encouraged me to find my own path to God
and were so supportive of my search.)
Today I do not attend a church or any religious institution
but that being said my faith, my belief in a high power is very strong
and it is important to me that LB grow up to have a solid connection with God
and a respect for all people of all faiths.
But where to start with my little sparrow?
There is a church here in Vancouver that I attended years ago and thoroughly enjoyed.
Is this the time to start going back and attending worship?
I think I would like LB to have the experience of attending Sunday School
of interacting with children in a church setting
and I love this church's vibe
their metaphysical interpretation of the bible
the meditations and the music
and the congregation itself.
I love the congregation because it is such a diverse group of people
of all colours, all ages and different sexual orientations.
No judgement
just love and acceptance.
Any thoughts on this weighty topic?
Any one?
6 comments:
Weighty indeed. I think it is important to introduce faith to children so that they have something to hold them when parents no longer can. I thank my parents all the time for it.
I was raised in the Catholic faith and attended church with my family well into my teens. I also had the benefit of a "Sunday school" education and was part of a non-denominational youth group of sorts through high school. My girls are both christened in the Catholic faith and although we don't attend church on a ~very~ regular basis, our faith in God and our Higher Power stands strong in our home. I think that believing in SOMETHING (ANYTHING) that is larger and more powerful than yourself is always a good base to stand on. My parents always demonstrated excellent morals and values and I do the same for my children. I think giving kids the opportunity to explore and decide what is a good fit for THEM and teaching them right from wrong, whatever faith that fits' in to, is always a good choice. I have faith that whatever path you choose to walk with LB will be the right one.
The Catholics are desperately trying to regather the flock in their thousands of tv ads at the moment - but I think they only want lapse Catholics. ;)
You are so smart to consider this aspect of your and LB's life - so many parents get caught by surprise when their children's innate spirituality comes out and they have nothing to say about it or any way to guide them!
I grew up and maintain a christian faith - its been through a few "varieties" of church settings /denominations and for me its always been about a focus on the truth of the bible, my own spiritual discipline and the community it offered me and my family. My kids have grown up through sunday school and youth group and have a large community around them of trusted friends - both peers and adults - as well as the opportunity to chose faith when they are ready (we didn't do the baby baptism thing as we wanted them to make their own choices). God has been my rock through many storms - couldn't imagine it otherwise. Praying for you and LB in this and all things!
Being raised in a strict Roman Catholic home I was always afraid to investigate other religions. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I started researching other religions.
Then I married someone who isn't religious AT ALL.
Now I find myself asking the same questions as you.
We've come to the agreement that we will a) maintain all family traditions that have a religious basis, b) educate our child on all religions and support their choice, c) baptize our child Catholic as it means a lot to me and my family, and d) ensure the child is exposed to the Russian Orthodox religion a great deal in order to support their heritage.
For us it's way to respect everyone's choices and give as many options as possible while still respecting our pasts (husband's, mine and our child's).
This is the exact reason why we decided to enroll our children in Catholic school (despite not even being catholic!).
Post a Comment