One of my inner circle peeps and I
have a long standing tradition of naming each year.
It all started when I was living in Toronto
and opted to spend Christmas there one year instead of flying back to Vancouver.
He and I went over to a close friend's house for dinner
the food rocked my socks off
and Twaine did a rendition of "You're a Mean One Mister Grinch"
during our post-dinner caroling
(because that's just what musical theatre people do when they get together
and one of them just happens to play the piano)
that still brings a smile to my face.
Amidst all of our merriment and after one too many glasses of wine
our host got deep for a second and said
"So 2007 is supposed to be the year of Momentum"
which led to one of those conversations that spilled over days between Twaine and I
and thus began our tradition.
Momentum
Enlightenment
Creation
Gratitude
Love
Expansion
which brings me to 2013...
over my funkish holidays
I realized I needed to name this year for myself
and give it some direction.
Not going to lie
it was a tough one to come up with
my ability to think was just so hampered by my worries
but very quietly, so quietly I barely noticed it, the word
upliftment
came to mind and stuck itself on the wall of my brain
waiting for me to peel off the little sticky note that it had scratched itself onto
and read what I'd written there when I was ready.
Today I'm ready.
Today is the first day I feel like me again
and I attribute that to 2 things:
1. My mom giving me some firm love in the wee hours last night that shook me out of my blues
2. My time at work today that was spent holding the hand of a man that has grown very dear to me
as he lingers in the final hours of this life.
Its all about perspective people.
Living in the moment and letting go of what I have no control over
I've been chanting it to myself all day
and hope it sticks
because it sure feels nice to smile and actually mean it again
Upliftment
I'm chewing on it now
deciding what flavour I want it to give my year.
I'll let you know when I've sorted it out.
This one's for you Twaine
Know that your radiant spirit still sings with mine my friend
even when the distance between us is so great.

2 comments:
You are so truly wonderful. I love you. xo
Twaine
I was hoping that you would see this, Twaine. You are so very special to Candice which makes you special to me as well, Sweetie. I hope life is good and that you will be out to the west coast soon to see us. Zenya would love to meet you! Love to you and all good wishes for a Happy New Year. mm xo
Post a Comment