May 08, 2013

19

I am counting down my final countdown.
14 days until I leave
19 days until I make that long drive up those winding forested hills for the last time
and Zenya and I drive the highway back to Kemerovo together.
19 days.
Wow.

It took longer than I thought to shake off the weight of the last 5 months.
I came home to happy dancing celebratory people
and kind of wanted to just lay down on the floor and cry my eyes out.
Cry out of relief
but also out of sheer fatigue
maybe a little disbelief was tossed in there as well.
I mean, did I actually do that?
Who was that woman who so brazenly silenced the courtroom?
Little old me
who came home beyond tired and a little bit broken
terrified at how close I came to losing it all
yet strangely never doubting that I would prevail.

Today however, 
I am feeling renewed.
I blame it on the sunshine
this sudden burst into summer that we're experiencing here on the west coast.
There's just something about the feeling of the sprinkler on my toes
that washes those worries, 
that heavy heaviness
right into the ground 
and leaves me standing a little straighter
and smiling a little more honestly.

19 more days before I get to do this again:

Only this time I don't have to let go.
This time I won't have to say goodbye.

5 comments:

singletracey said...

I can't wait until you two are together forever!

Anonymous said...

My little hero, you did it! Yes, you silenced the courtroom and I will forever be grateful for your courage because, as I result, I have my first little grandbaby. Zenya, you have had to wait for four long years for a mama, but she is well worth that wait. Your mama will always be there for you through thick and thin, you will be the focal point of her life, and she will love away all the hurts and the disappointments that you have suffered. mm

Unknown said...

you're amazing! i am counting the hours until you post that she's YOURS forever!!! xoxo rach

Unknown said...

We're all counting down for you babe! Seem like I'm a little bit anxious all the time...excited anxious....but still. So I can't IMAGINE how excited you are to finally be going back to get your girl. Finally....
xo

Jen said...

I haven't checked your site in awhile. Congrats! This is wonderful!