May 28, 2013

rough night

Last night was a bit of a rough one
(its currently 6:30am here and I've been awake for 2 hours...
yes, the people that know me are gasping in their chairs!)

Zenya fell asleep around 9:30 and woke up at 1:30
making these tiny terrified whimpering sounds.
Sadly, children in orphanages learn very quickly that no one comes when the cry
or they are scolded for making noises that may wake other children
and so they often learn to soothe and silence themselves.
I am already seeing very blatant signs of this is in her.
She took a bad tumble out of bed yesterday thanks to rookie mom 
who didn't have anything up against the side of the bed
scraped her back on the side board and landed on her head.
She barely made a peep.
When she woke up whimpering last night
I called over to her "mama's here"
and as I was getting up she whimpered again and then reached for me.
I picked her up and she clung to me so hard.
Every part of her body was tense.
I rocked her back and forth until she calmed down
and then I carried her into my bed.
She snuggled down inside the crook of my arm
like she'd lived there all her life,
put one little thumb in her mouth
and put the other hand on my chest.
She was asleep again in under 2 minutes.

She woke 3 more times last night doing the same thing
but was easily comforted as soon as she knew I was there.
Her trust in me is staggering.
Her resiliency and trust
the love and joy that is still inside her
despite all that she has been through
is unbelievable to see.
I do not doubt for a moment that we were hand picked for each other.


yesterday's nap... my little angel

5 comments:

Unknown said...

All those rough nights equal more snuggling and bonding time. When she's older, you'll miss it....but then there will be other things to bond over :)

So happy to see all the wonderful news on here! You've blossomed into Momma-hood at lightning speed....love you heaps!
xo

Jen said...

She's darling! Congratulations! It is unbelievable how these little people come into your life and instantly feel like they've always been there. I painted a picture for Sof with the Winnie the Pooh saying: “Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
I think it summed up how we both felt:)

Unknown said...

Sleeping habits were always one of the toughest hurdles to cross on my mothering journey! I agree with Rishell, every whimper and cry (and tumble out of bed) give you more opportunities to pull her close and comfort her. And wow, you are progressing quickly! I'm so thrilled for both of you xoxo rach

Anonymous said...

Jen, I LOVE THAT!!! "I just wanted to be sure of you." mm

Stacey said...

How great for her you are there now and always and how great for you that you get to be her person. I don't doubt she was picked just for you before you even breathed the possibility of motherhood. A bedtime tip? Tuck the sheet and blanket under the mattress on the free side. It kept my guy in until he stopped falling out on his own. I wanted to co-sleep when he first came home but he would have nothing of it. It sounds like Zenya might really like it :-) tread heart pulling post - I read it twice :-)